Wednesday 16 November 2011

10 Films That Changed My World

Now with this list I wanted to show you films that, changed my prospective on life, now I want you to know now, that some of these aren’t my favourite films, but more that they how a sentimental value to me, purely because of they did to me as films when I watched them. I hope you enjoy.

28 Days Later Poster 

28 Days Later
Why?
So, to start off with one of the greatest ever zombie films to be made is kinda weird. Doom and gloom and all of it but, this really got to me, how one small cog can change the way the wheel turns. This grippingly gory story  of Jim and co trying to survive from the hoardings of raging human beings is a masterpiece and will always in my eyes be one of Danny Boyle’s greatest works.



The Matrix
Why?
The Matrix
 Before you think I am a complete and utter weirdo for choosing this film, yes I do believe that one day that machines could take over, maybe to not the extent in this film, but it is possible, very very possible. The Matrix first changed the way I perceived films with its non stop action and fantastic layered story line. The Wachowski Brothers made a true master piece, and I think it will live on in the memories for a hundred years to come. A Definite must see if by any chance you haven’t seen this film.


Man on Fire Poster

Man on Fire
Why?
 When I first watched this film, it was totally not how I expected the film to turn half way through, I thought the film would be dealing with grievance and the loss of a child, turns out its quite the opposite, its Denzel Washington going straight for the jugular literally. It’s all about corruption and getting something you love back or getting revenge for it. Absolutely fantastically shot, words all over the screen, gritty shots of Mexico. Showed me what a fantastic director Tony Scott is.



Pay It Forward
Why?
Pay it Forward Poster
Well what can I say about this film, it’s a beautiful story starring Haley Joel-Osmont(Trevor), Kevin Spacey (Eugene) and Helen Hunt (Arlene). It’s basically about Trevor’s teacher, Eugene giving his class an assignment to “Pay It Forward” this basically translates into people doing other people favours without having a return. 1 person helps 3 people and those 3 people help another 3 people each, so on an so forth. It’s a film of many heart wrenching moments, good ones and bad ones alike. Trust me you will be a changed person forever. Simply beautiful.


Battle Royale Insignia

Battle Royale
Why?
One of my favourite films ever, its about a class of Japanese children that are sent to a remote island of the coast of Japan, they are originally going on a school trip to show the kids that they should go back to school, as their generation has a lot of truancy and violent offences. However the government have decided to intervene and send them to an island to fight to do their deaths. Fortunately this film has been left untouched by Hollywood, it is a truly brutal tale of kids fighting for their lives, with friendship and love interests all coming under scrutiny. Some excellent and memorable performances from the legend that is Takeshi Kitano and Tetsuya Fujiwara. It really made me think about how life could turn like this with benefits and so many social impracticalities.


The Adjustment Bureau
Why?
The Adjustment Bureau Banner
Quite the original storyline, with an excellent cast of Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, it’s about a future American presidential candidate who, ruins his fortunes by giving an unorthodox speech in a conference in front of millions of people on television, he then goes to the bathroom and meets a beautiful woman, by sheer coincidence, or is it. It’s a wonderful film of fate or coincidence and really gets you thinking about life in general which is why its one of my favourites. Riveting Stuff.


Edward Scissorhands
Why?

Edward Scissorhands Poster
Well what can I say about this absolutely legendary film, Starring Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. I first watched this when I was 4 and in all honesty it made me cry. (YES! A MAN CRYING OH MY GOD!) I think I have watched it 2 or 3 times since then and I cry in the same part each time. Such a brilliant film and an instant classic when it first came out. Its basically about a man that is built by a creator and is then taken in by the local Avon lady, however he has scissors for fingers and it leads to many different situations some good and some bad. Excellent script and a haunting soundtrack.



Right at Your Door
Why?
Now not a lot of you may have heard of this one, if I remember correctly it only had a limited release in the cinema, and was then preceded by the DVD copy. I got this out to rent by chance as I was in my “DOOM AND GLOOM” stage. I was not disappointed, an excellent tale of a modern day battle with an unknown enemy. 3 dirty bombs go off in L.A and the main characters are forced to live at home without going outside. However how would you feel if your wife/husband was stuck downtown in the air which is toxic? What would you do? This is the exact position that the film puts you in and quite honestly its unrelenting. An excellent low budget flick. A Must See.



Signs
Why?
Now even I was a little hesitant about putting this film in this list, however purely based on this one scene in the film, it is one of my all time favourite films anyway, but I know a lot of people found it to be a rubbish alien film, but rather than the aliens, I love the exploration of religion, love and togetherness and loss. This is part of the scene in which I think sums this film up excellently, hopefully you have seen it and thought the same or hopefully this will encourage you to watch it:
Signs Poster

People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?”



Deep Impact
Why?
Deep Impact Poster
So this is my final film, one that is shown every Christmas for some peculiar reason, I think us british are gluttons for punishment. It focuses on many peoples accounts on what could be their last days on earth as an asteroid plummets towards earth which could cause the extinction of the human species. The film has an all star cast, Elijah Woods, Tea Leoni, LeeLee Sobieski, Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall and Jon Favreau. Its excellent film and I would tell anyone to watch it. Its makes you realise what you have and what you shouldn’t forget, especially family, we should all take the time we have as something special and not take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment