Saturday 7 July 2012

The Amazing Spiderman


The Amazing Spiderman Poster
To be honest I wasn’t that excited about this film as I was extremely annoyed that they were remaking what was my favourite Marvel superhero, however what made me watch it was “Andrew Garfield” and “Emma Stone’s” inclusion, I watched “Boy A” a couple of years ago and really enjoyed “Andrew’s” performance as “Jack”, and I have enjoyed most of “Emma Stone’s” films to date, most recently being “Crazy Stupid Love”.

Before you start to read my review I want everyone to know that I am by no means a reader of comic books and I don’t know any of the origins of “Spiderman”, however I did know his first love was “Gwen Stacy” instead of “Mary-Jane Watson” so it was always a little strange that they changed that in the original film with “Sam Raimi” directing.

I always found it quite hard to believe “Tobey Maguire” playing a geek for some reason, but I was wondering how “Andrew Garfield” would change the role of “Peter Parker” and make it his own? Well he does do an excellent job of making the role his own; you can always tell when an actor is going to have an exceptional career by the small movements he makes in films, from hand gestures to the facial expressions he conveys to the audience. “Andrew Garfield” has everything to be a brilliant actor in my personal opinion; I hope he is around long to prove me right, because he is one “helluva” prospect. He makes “Peter Parker”, a much darker character, not so innocent and just the right amount of “geekyness” , along with this, you don’t always feel like “Peter” is chasing a lost cause with trying to be with “Gwen”, the chemistry between “Emma Stone” and “Andrew Garfield” is excellent probably because of their off screen relationship, however I never felt like “Gwen” was above “Peter” which was a nice touch, where as I always got the idea that “Mary Jane” was too good for “Peter”.

So the acting as I have said is of an excellent standard, and just for this alone it needs to be watched, the way in which it is filmed is very good too, it’s a much darker version of “Spiderman”.

There is one thing that did disappoint me about this film, and it’s the lack of feeling that they didn’t even try to break away from the 2002 version of “Spiderman”, especially with “Uncle Ben” being in the film, I won’t say what happens just in case someone hasn’t seen either of the films, however if you have seen the 2002 version you know what happens. Which is obviously keeping in touch with the comics however it just feels like there is a lack of thought gone into trying to change the outcome, thus the film feeling a little same old “Spiderman”, in other words it lacks effort in breaking the mould.

The CGI in places is a tad ropey obviously and especially on “Dr Connors” (Played expertly by “Rhys Iffans” when turning into the  “The Lizard”, in parts in laughable for a high budget movie.

Overall the film is a good reboot, however for me, 
just felt like a remake rather than a reboot, which is a tad disappoint because had this been their first attempt at making “Spiderman” movie, this easily would have been my most favourite Marvel film. However it never seems to break the mould which leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It’s almost like they have wasted “Andrew Garfield” and “Emma Stone’s” talent, like they were a second thought as such. All I have to say is where are “Kirsten Dunst” and “Tobey Maguire” now?

No comments:

Post a Comment