Sunday 1 July 2012

Drive Angry


Drive Angry Poste
Recently I have signed up to “Netflix” which allows you (the audience) to watch a large database of movies over the internet for £5.99 (however I have the first month free, after noticing the advert on TV). So I took it upon myself to start with Drive Angry.

I saw the adverts plenty of times when going to the cinema in early 2011, however, the cheesy script and sub-par acting really put me off of going to see this at the cinema. It some ways I made a good decision but in others, I made a bad decision because its one “helluva” ride.

From my point of view, Nicholas Cage in recent years hasn’t made very many good films, a lot of people slated “Knowing” but I quite enjoyed it until the end. “Bangkok Dangerous” I heard was awful, I didn’t particularly like either National Treasure (Even though my other half absolutely adores them). “Next” and “Season of the Witch” were supposed to be awful, alongside “Ghost Rider” which was truly awful (and they are still making a sequel!)
.
Anyway, as you can see from above, I did not have high expectations for “Drive Angry” what so ever, especially with the ridiculous title. So what’s it all about?? Well its basically about “Milton” (Nicholas Cage) who breaks out of hell, because a sadistic satanic cult have kidnapped her, and he has broken out of hell, to get her back safe and sound, along the road is Amber Heard’s character “Piper”, she is not your typical blonde girl. Although very pretty she is also a bit of a “hard nut”, she is “Milton” helping hand. There are a few peripheral characters such as “the accountant” played by William Fichtner and The cult’s leader “Jonah King” who is played by Billy Burke.

Story is a little on the weak side, it’s not original and it’s not fantastically portrayed, but I did have a bit of an epiphany while watching the film. I notice that the whole demeanour of the film is cheesy, so I came to the conclusion that the whole film is SUPPOSED to be cheesy.

The acting is sooooo cheesy that it is something you will find back in the 80’s in a B movie, it really is that terribly cheesy. However, it does redeem itself on the action factor, there is quite a bit of it and this makes up for some of the way in which the film is executed.

Nicholas Cage plays a typical “Bad-Ass” quite well; he always has played very good villains, such as “Face-Off” and “Con-Air”. He has some very cheesy one liners. Amber Heard, plays the part of a tortured girl quite well and also has some cheesy one liners, she supports Nic Cage very well.

The music is very old-school and very rock and roll especially the last song at the end of the film.

Overall it’s a good ride, but sub-par In many categories, very enjoyable, but wide of the mark. The best thing I can suggest is, rent it and see what you think, I certainly wouldn’t buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment