Sunday 11 September 2011

First Review: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Hello World Wide Web, this is my first review on the masterpiece that is:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Right from the beginning of this game, you could tell that the developers have put a massive amount of effort in to making this game a force to be reckoned with, I had watched as many trailers as I possibly could to gain all the inside info I needed to get a head start in playing this game.

The first thing I noticed about the trailers was that the graphics were first rate and really set the standards for FMVs in and outside of games, So when I put the disc in, I was thoroughly disappointed to say the least that the graphics weren’t even half as good as they were in the trailer, now I know that the trailers weren’t real gameplay but I had the unusual thought process of thinking;


Adam Jensen = Badass!

"WOW if they can spend the money on the trailers to make the graphics look that good then I really cannot wait for the real thing."

However, do not, I repeat, DO NOT let this deter you from this game what so ever, this is where the disappointment stops, Right from the get go you are thrust in to the life of the protagonist, "Adam Jensen", straight away you can see after all the years of playing shoot em ups and other first person games, that this is the way you wanted the character to look in all of the other games you have played, to put it bluntly, HE......IS......BADAAAAAAASSSSS!

So you’re going along doing your day to day duties of being Chief of Security when the company you are employed by (Sarif Industries) is attacked by unknown assailants. I wont go into much more detail about the story line, as its not a predictable storyline, and although I believe to be just past the half way line myself, I believe that the story manages to keep you on the edge the whole way through, you don’t know who to trust and who to kill and not to kill, which is a massive feature of this game.

Xbox 360 Front Cover
One of the first things I recognised about the gameplay was that with each action there is a consequence, Cause and Effect, its a fantastic feature which implies that you are living in the shoes of Adam for real, One of the prime examples of these feature happens within the first five minutes of the game being turned on, I am called to my bosses office to go over the outlines of the mission I am about to embark on(something about augmented people taking a office block hostage), but instead I decide to look round the building see what I can find and see whose office I can hack into, well game time and real time pass, then I get this angry message from my boss saying in short, "Damn it Adam, the police are angry you took to long and now they are all dead, we need you to go in there to help one of our people out, NOW GET IN THERE!" So I thought to myself, damn I better get going, I arrive 2 mins later by air craft and the first police officer I see, is hacked off because I took to long, I eventually get into the office block after being grilled by the force and there they are all the hostages, dead. Another good example is I helped someone out of a sticky situation, by giving this person a gun, later on while I am escaping from a building he wires 2000 credits to my account, Happy Days!

Another fantastic feature in the game is also the ability to upgrade specific limbs, to help with particular situations, whether it be being able to withstand the effects of a Gas Grenade or the ability to turn invisible, it is all there, Like the other parts of the game I wont go into to much detail, but, to upgrade you have to buy, find, steal or complete missions to gain something called a Praxis Point, this is the currency you need to improve your bodily functions. So make sure you look through all the desks.

There is also an XP system in place, which doesn’t so much allow you to level up but it rewards you with Praxis Points to upgrade, its a really neat system, you can be rewarded by going into an area of the game which is off the beat and track, like in an air vent or secret room, for not killing someone but incapacitating them, so on and so forth.

A couple more things, the game has been laid out so you can either go crazy with guns and your augments or you can go the whole game without killing or incapacitating a single enemy, hence the100G achievement on Xbox 360 for not killing a single person (apart from the boss battles). The inventory system is a nice addition to the game however has been used several other times by Resident Evil and other games. (You maybe familiar with this particular system). The soundtrack is amazing and nothing short of mesmerising, it really captures the moments throughout.

So to wrap things up on my first review,Deus Ex: Human Revolution, like a lot of high budget games with a monumental amount of history, brought with it, a massive pile of hype, and thankfully it lived up to it and by some peoples standards excelled it. Thank you for reading my first review and I hope you have enjoyed it.

Graphics: 8/10
Storyline: 9/10
Sound: 10/10
Replayability: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Josh BRCB

Next Game Review: Dead Island or FIFA 12

No comments:

Post a Comment