Saturday 24 September 2011

Switchfoot - Vice Verses

 "Vice Verses" Album Cover
So after what I thought was a slight disappointment of an album, “Hello Hurricane”. The next instalment in the band’s career is “Vice Verses”, I was expecting a lot from this album, maybe a little too much. Some of their earlier work are some of my favourite albums of all time, such as, The Beautiful Letdown, it had many stand out songs like I Dare You To Move, Ammunition etc.
So with previous instalments a bit hit and miss, I was hoping for something new and brilliant, however I am disappointed with this album, I have listened to it twice through, and have struggled to find any stand out songs apart from one, “Blinding Light” and maybe “Dark Horse”.
Jon Foreman’s voice is brilliant as ever, and lyrically it is excellent, but there is something missing that I cannot quite put my finger on. The album relies heavily on the bass guitar to carry it through the allotted time, which has changed their normal method of executing the albums in which they have produced.
I can’t quite tell what it is lacking, but its something that is integral to the album being successfully, maybe if I listen to it a few more times it may grow on me but for the time being, I cant see it redeeming itself any time soon unfortunately.

Switchfoot

Like I said, I don’t think there is enough stand out qualities for this album to be successfully, however it won’t stop me from buying their future albums because, before this album they have made some amazing ones, maybe they are going through a transitional stage.

Vice Verses Track Listing

  1. "Afterlife"
  2. "The Original"
  3. "The War Inside"
  4. "Restless"
  5. "Blinding Light"
  6. "Selling the News"
  7. "Thrive"
  8. "Dark Horses"
  9. "Souvenirs"
  10. "Rise Above It"
  11. "Vice Verses" 
  12. "Where I Belong"

No comments:

Post a Comment