Thursday 27 October 2011

Set-Up

Set-Up Poster
Another straight to DVD film which has great promise with a decent cast of Ryan Phillipe (The Lincoln Lawyer), Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson (Get Rich or Die Trying and his Musical Career), and finally the ever brilliant Bruce Willis who doesn’t need explaining, however he will need to explain as to why he starred in this, somewhat, inexcusable failure of a film.
I really genuinely thought that I would be in for treat when this film came up on my screen with a decent budget (I know the production companies had a cool package of $200 Million), however I can tell how good a film is going to be with how the credits are shot (Font Size, Colour, Style), these were quite “punchy” yet, something felt like it was missing. So I continued watching, and right from the outset of the film you can tell that the script and possibly the actors were extremely wooden, which is extremely unfortunate also, as the premise for this film is quite good, typical revenge storyline with a hint of redemption.
Ryan Phillipe and Curtis Jackson are thieves but they have a likeable factor about them and aren’t your typical bad guys however they have been given this job to steal a suitcase from a Spanish or Italian (this is how impressed I was with the acting) delegate visiting the U.S on “business”. Cut a long story short, Ryan Phillipe’s character ends up shooting the delegate and this doesn’t bode well with his 2 other colleagues, so he ends up shooting Curtis Jackson and this other dude, whose acting is as good as a Large plank of wood, well he could call himself a plank of wood he is that interesting. (My fiancée chose this film in blockbuster and she was losing interest by this point and so was I). Turns out Ryan Phillipe has a deal with a local gang, “Fiddy” ends up getting taken under the wing of Bruce Willis’s character who is also a mob boss but for him to be accepted into this family he has to steal something for him to show his trust to Bruce Willis’s character.

My Fiancée turns to me and says:

“Are you really gonna make me watch this”

My reply:

“What you don’t wanna see the end”

And by now I am sure you can work out her reply, so as she descended upon “sleepyland” I carried on watching until I realised…………..(DARKNESS)…….and at that point my body had decided it had had enough of watching the utter pile of rubbish which was Ryan Phillipe, 50 Cent’s and Bruce Willis’s acting.
Obviously a lot of people are going to say “you can’t write an honest review if you haven’t seen all of it”, however the exception to this, is this film because I have never turned off a film before for being so awful, but in my old age I have begun to be less patient with time wasters, especially this film, so this film will get one award from me and that is “the best film to turn off half way through” award.
By all means watch this film for yourself, but be warned you will not be impressed by the acting, the only thing I remotely enjoyed about this film were the camera views, they were very good and you could see they were using a different filter to normal films (very MIAMI VICE, the Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx one). All I can say is I dare you to find a worse film this year and let me know if you do find one.

Characters: 2/10
Storyline: 5/10
Soundtrack: 3/10
Overall: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment